Website Ministry of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources and Forestry
To implement and maintain decision support systems for Fire Management applications. Under the general supervision of the Safety & Personnel Systems Coordinator and the technical supervision of the Land Resource Cluster.
- Administration and troubleshooting, arranging for repairs of faulty equipment and preparing, implementing and maintaining contingency plans; monitoring, researching future needs and coordinating their implementation.
- Assisting in the development of new decision support applications by helping to formulate ideas into proposals, identifying scope of task or change, estimating time and cost; working cooperatively with users and others to research, design, develop and implement the applications; conducting thorough testing and debugging; providing both system and user documentation; and evaluating new hardware and software as it applies to decision support;
- Maintaining operational Fire Management Information decision systems and other applications (e.g., DFOSS, IMIS, ACIMS, Fire Resource Allocation, Electronic Mail, etc.) at the Regional Fire Management Centre and Field Offices, includes the entire Northeast and South Central Regions, by promoting maximum utilization of computer hardware and software;
- Assisting FMSOs with management, configuration, deployment and support of project fire information technology, including design, implementation, maintenance and support of information technology project fire kits, e.g. developing, testing and implementing a Communications IT mobile unit for deployment to project fires and other emergency response sites such as ice storms where existing communication infrastructure has been compromised or is non-existent;
- Training staff at the Forest Fire Management Centre, in EFR and all field office locations, in the operation of the information and office automation systems, including hardware, software and data management; supporting application specific users, e.g., Incident management teams require training on wireless networks and satellite connectivity.
- You have project management and coordination skills to ensure projects are properly proposed, designed, and implemented.
- Job requires a willingness to work long hours for extended periods of time during escalated fire situations
- You have knowledge of web-based application design, theories and methodologies
- Valid driver’s licence and ability to travel to office locations in northern Ontario to provide training, maintenance, and upgrades to systems
- You have the ability to assess client’s information and systems needs to assist in developing cost effective information management solutions
- You have the ability to assist in the developing of alternative system applications
- You have the ability to work in a team environment.
- You have the ability to obtain information and create annual reports and operating plans.
- You can plan, organize, and prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- You have oral communication skills to provide advice, training, and make recommendations.
- You have the ability to stay current on new and upcoming technologies and how they can be applied to fire system requirements.
- You have knowledge of personal and server computer systems technologies, operating systems, application software, hardware, peripherals, and database design
- You have knowledge of current information systems technologies and the principles of information systems development
Company: Ministry of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources and Forestry
Vacancy Type: Temporary
Job Location: Garson, Ontario, Canada
Application Deadline: N/A