Website Ministry of Transportation
The Ministry of Transportation’s Ferry Services requires two individuals to serve as Ferry Mate. To assist in the operation and navigation of a vessel transporting vehicles and passengers between Glenora and Adolphustown.
- provide direction and guidance to deckhands
- ensure vessel and shore facilities are maintained in a safe, clean and efficient condition
- assume duties of Captain or Deckhand on assigned shift, as required (as certified)
- maintain passenger discipline
- respond to public enquiries and/or complaints
- assist in the operation and maintenance of a Ferry Vessel transporting vehicles and passengers by deciding upon appropriate parking spaces for vehicles
- investigate accidents/incidents and report to supervisor
- assist Captain in wheelhouse during poor visibility and emergency situations, as required
- supervise the loading and unloading of vehicles and the securing and casting-off of vessel
- check condition and accessibility of fire-fighting and life-saving equipment
- You have organization skills to carry out daily routines as well as complete non-routine activities.
- You have verbal, written and visual communication skills when supervising the direction of vehicles and to effectively communicate with co-workers.
- Valid Transport Canada Marine Medical
- You have knowledge of seamanship practices/principles and experience to ensure the operation of the vessel in a safe and lawful manner.
- You have demonstrated ability to interpret policies and procedures relative to marine operations to ensure the operation of the vessel in a safe and lawful manner.
- You must have a valid class ‘G’ driver’s licence or equivalent, as recognized by the Province of Ontario. The offer of employment is conditional upon the successful candidate providing proof that s/he has a valid driver’s licence upon being hired.
- You have the ability to exercise tact and diplomacy when responding to unlawful situations.
- You have decision-making skills to ensure the proper trim and stability of the ship appropriate to prevailing weather conditions and in investigating accidents involving vehicles.
- You must be courteous with the public and when responding to public inquiries.
Qualification & Experience:
- Minimum Transport Canada Certificate of Competency as Mate Limited (for the specified vessel)
- Marine Emergency Duties Certificate to the level required by Transport Canada
- You have demonstrated experience in the delivery of quality customer service to deal courteously with complaints and concerns of passengers.
- Radiotelephone Operator’s (Restricted) Certificate
Company: Ministry of Transportation
Vacancy Type: Temporary
Job Location: Picton, Ontario, Canada
Application Deadline: N/A