Website Ministry of the Attorney General
Consider this challenging opportunity working for the Ministry of the Attorney General in the (Superior and/or Ontario) Court of Justice as a Court and Client Representative in which you will provide technical guidance, information and support for the provision of an accessible, fair, timely and effective justice service to the public and justice participants. Providing professional and respectful services to clients at all times in all aspects of this role.
- accurate data entry for inputting, updating and listing court information and filings into manual or computerized systems to ensure most up-to-date information is available
- assisting with exhibit management and managing current and archival files
- ensuring courtroom and court recordings are secure and safeguarded
- ensures all virtual and courtroom technology, including remote appearance, court audio and video recording equipment, electronic display evidence equipment, is in working order at all times and sets-up and tests all equipment prior to court, during court and after each recess
- issuing invoices and writing correspondence
- preparing and signing court documents (i.e. warrants of committal, restraining orders, affidavits, default judgements) under delegated statutory powers and duties of court officers. (i.e. court clerk, registrar)
- maintaining order and decorum in the courtroom for both in-person and virtual hearings (example: administering oaths and cautions, relaying orders of the court, provides information regarding courtroom etiquette for virtual hearings)
- testing court audio and recording equipment prior, during court and after each recess
- coordinating and managing the jury panel and all jury related duties (including attending overnight sequestered juries)
- ensuring all court work is completed for both in-person and virtual hearings (example: preparation, presentation and logging of exhibits, distributing/providing paper or electronic court dockets; files; documents to presiding judge
- ensuring all proceedings are recorded and annotated in accordance to legislative requirements, ministry guidelines and standards
- providing advice and guidance to clients in alliance with legislation, rules, procedures and policy
- ensuring accuracy and completion of all filings and that timelines are adhered to
- Receives and processes payouts for fines, fees, restitution and other source revenue and reconciles/ balances all accounts, e.g., month end trust and revenue accounts
- liaising with various court staff, stakeholders and judiciary to ensure proper case-flow
- recording statistics and preparing system generated reports
- determining nature and scope of client needs in relation to requirements of the court
- preparing, presenting, checking all court documents, including post court sentencing papers, and ensuring accuracy and completion in accordance with judicial order, legislated requirements and Rules of Procedure.
- Ability to work from home, where required
- You have flexibility and adaptability to accommodate constant shifts in focus and changing priorities.
- You have keyboarding skills to accurately prepare and complete documentation and to annotate court proceedings within tight deadlines.
- You have demonstrated problem-solving skills to identify, research, address and resolve clients’ problems and concerns.
- You have demonstrated organizational skills and an ability to prioritize workload using various methods (example: calendar, notes, bring forward files) and respond to unforeseen demands.
- You have the ability to operate a cash register (or equivalent financial management system) and point of sale machine to handle cash and credit/debit card transactions.
- Valid Driver’s License within the Province of Ontario, where required
- You are proficient with computer software such as Microsoft 365 (Microsoft Teams, One Drive Word etc.,) operational and case management systems (example: ICON and FRANK), and the internet to access and retrieve information.
- Availability to work on weekend and statutory holidays, where required
- Typing and fully programmable word processing skills to 30wpm
- You have demonstrated public speaking skills to address small to large groups of individuals during virtual or in-person courtroom proceedings.
Qualification & Experience:
- You have demonstrated experience performing administrative and clerical functions in order to manage active and archived files.
Company: Ministry of the Attorney General
Vacancy Type: Temporary
Job Location: Goderich, Ontario, Canada
Application Deadline: N/A