Website Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services
The Youth Services Officer position will provide you with an opportunity to work with an employer that promotes diversity while you support and deliver programs and services in custody/detention facilities intended to keep youth active and engaged, focus on specific risks and needs of youth related to reoffending, teach new skills, keep youth safe, resolve conflict , employ intervention techniques and strategies to model pro-social behaviours and help youth make better choices upon their return to the community.
- Perform a full range of duties related to the supervision and case management of youth on an assigned rotating shift, utilizing a relationship custody/cognitive learning behavioural approach within a secure custody/detention facility setting that functions 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Identify and participate in the provision of appropriate structured rehabilitative programs and services for a diverse population of youth;
- Ensure the safety and security of youth, staff, youth centre and community.
- You have advanced communication skills – written, verbal and non-verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- You are able to build positive relationships with youth.
- You have facilitation and team building skills.
- You have computer skills to operate various business software and operational systems.
- You have good interviewing, mentorship, coaching and counselling skills.
- You have knowledge of various sociological issues impacting on youth.
- You have knowledge of various youth justice related legislation (i.e. Youth Criminal Justice Act, Child, Youth and Family Services Act, Human Rights Code).
- Valid Emergency First Aid, CPR (level C) and AED Certification.
- You have analytical, interpretive, reasoning and problem-solving skills.
Qualification & Experience:
- You have successfully completed post-secondary education from a college/university of recognized standing in a related field with emphasis in behaviour management, adolescent development, and knowledge of family group dynamics, plus one year of recent relevant work experience OR a recognized secondary school diploma with supplementary courses in human behaviour plus three years of recent relevant work experience
Company: Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services
Vacancy Type: Temporary
Job Location: Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada
Application Deadline: N/A