Website Ministry of Education
The student lodging program is an extension of the school program for students who do not live close enough to access daily transportation. Student lodging staff are invested in facilitating every student’s growth and independence. Do you want to make a difference in the lives of students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing? Do you have a background in child development, experience in a child care related field and can you communicate fluently in American Sign Language (ASL). If so, this career opportunity with the Ministry of Education, Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch may be of interest to you.
- Plan, organize and implement customized individual and group programs designed to meet the personal, emotional and developmental needs of Deaf students using a multi-disciplinary approach;
- Provide supervision, guidance, intervention and instruction for deaf students in planned and organized programs in a student lodging setting;
- Provide sound physical care and maintain a safe/secure environment for Deaf lodging students.
- Supervise, guide and instruct Deaf lodging students;
- excellent communications skills to communicate effectively with students, parents, staff and other professionals in English and American Sign Language (ASL);
- demonstrated ability to facilitate effective social/recreational/leisure programs geared to meet the needs of deaf students;
- knowledge of relevant legislation/policies/procedures/guidelines/practices that address student care and safety;
- sound judgment and problem solving skills;
- ability to work effectively as a member of a multi-disciplinary team;
- willingness and ability to work shifts.
Qualification & Experience:
- College certification from a recognized educational facility and/or equivalent training, education and working experience in a child related field
- Current First Aid, CPR and Crisis Prevention Intervention and/or Behaviour Management Training or equivalent
- experience working with deaf students;
Company: Ministry of Education
Vacancy Type: Temporary
Job Location: Milton, Ontario, Canada
Application Deadline: N/A