The Laboratory Chemist provides chemistry information, analytical methods, instrument troubleshooting and repair, consulting to the refinery, and performs specialized sample testing services for process stream monitoring and optimization, product certification, environmental compliance, and special projects.
- Consults on the use of test methods and their application. Works with Technical, Operations, Maintenance, and Corp. research divisions to: (1) select appropriate testing methods/instrumentation and (2) design approaches to obtain desired information.
- Develops and implements testing methods, including selection and purchase of new equipment/ instrumentation, training, quality control/assurance, documentation, maintenance & troubleshooting, and continuous improvement.
- Performs specialized sample testing services for process stream monitoring and optimization, product certification, environmental compliance, and special projects.
- Conducts training, consulting, maintenance and troubleshooting on test methods and instrumentation.
- Provides consulting on process chemistry to aid in plant optimization and troubleshooting.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Demonstrated excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate chemistry/technical information to audiences of varying technical background.
- Demonstrated commitment to and use of quality control/quality assurance principles and tools.
- Knowledge and understanding of refinery processes.
- Knowledge of refinery test methods (e.g., ASTM methods for: GC, AA, IC, XRF, elemental analysis, HPLC and wet chemistry).
- Demonstrated ability to consult on analytical instrumentation and test methods, including method development and equipment/instrumentation repair and purchase.
- Knowledge of process analyzers.
- Demonstrated strong mechanical skills and ability to use tools to maintain instrumentation.
- Demonstrated teamwork, communication, planning/organizing, leadership skills, and strong commitment to safety.
Qualification & Experience:
- Demonstrated laboratory work experience.
- General chemistry, organic chemistry, or equivalent courses are required for non-chemistry majors with 3 plus years’ industry experience.
- Experience with chemometric modeling and analysis.
- Bachelor’s degree in any science major, Chemistry major is preferred.
- Chemistry major and 2.5/4 GPA are required with Less than 3 years of industry experience.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: El Segundo, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A