As a Second Navigation Officer, reporting into the Chief Navigation Officer, your role will support the deck department in maintenance and safety activities and ensure the safe navigation of the ship when watchkeeping. efficient navigation, watchkeeping and positioning of the vessel to achieve efficient vessel, mining or sampling operations.
- Controlling the safety of the vessel whilst on watchkeeping duty.
- Maintaining the vessel Life Saving Appliances and other safety equipment.
- Operating winches while on watch and during spread laying.
- Conducting in-port duties when vessel is in-port.
- Maintaining Company policies and procedures; co-ordinate human resources and enforces the company safety, health and environmental systems.
- Bridge watch keeping duties, controls deck operations
- Maintaining the ship radio and log books to company and legal requirements when watchkeeping.
- Valid Code 08/EB Driver’s License
- Namibian National Police Clearance
- Travel to Namibia
- Strong planning and controlling abilities
- Valid Deck Officer Certificate of Competency
- Strong judgement and communication skills
Qualification & Experience:
- GMDSS (Global Maritime Distress Safety Signal) qualification
- 3 years’ experience (minimum 2 years) as a Second Navigating Officer, preferably with some experience on a mining/prospecting vessel
- Applicants must have a Higher National Diploma in Marine studies (T3)
Company: Anglo American
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Application Deadline: N/A