The Laboratory Technologist I in the dermatology department directly supports the Mohs’ surgical program. This Laboratory Technologist I – Dermatology Laboratory Technologist position works collaboratively with the Mohs’ surgeon to provide real time tissue slides. This allows the physician to determine that the tissue removed from the patient has skin margins that are free from cancer. The successful candidate must have great attention to detail, be very precise, be able to efficiently organize their time and be able to stand for long periods during their shift.
As a Medical Laboratory Technologist (MLT) I, you will be responsible for the daily processing, testing, results analysis and reporting of diagnostic samples within the laboratory department. You will perform a variety of routine and specialized procedures in the processing of specimens used in diagnosis, treatment and research.
- Ability to monitor supply inventory and act appropriately to maintain adequate supplies.
- The ability to stand and/or walk for approximately 75% of time on the job.
- Able to work with continual exposure to disruptive noise and interruptions.
- The ability to communicate and collaborate within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a high volume workload and constantly changing priorities.
- Physical effort requiring manual dexterity is constantly required (is: more than 755 of time on the job).
- Demonstrated organization skills.
- Ability to perform all quality control and assurance practices and maintain records as required.
- Demonstrated proficiency using MS Word and Excel.
- Ability to accept other duties as required.
- The ability to lift, carry, push or pull objects weighing more than 20 lbs.
- Able to work with chemicals such as: formalin, xylene, bleach, gloves.
Qualification & Experience:
- Previous experience working in a Mohs’ clinic.
- Recent demonstrated experience with using an automated tissue stainer.
- Active or eligible for registration and practice permit with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Alberta (CMLTA).
- Recent demonstrated experience with fresh tissue embedding.
- Recent demonstrated experience with a cryostat.
- Completion of an accredited Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT) program.
Company: Alberta Health Services
Vacancy Type: Part Time
Job Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Application Deadline: N/A